Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Switch from Method2 to Element3

http://switchkites.com/headquarters/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2881


Unread postby effisk » 
Hi all,

I've been the happy owner of the Method2 kite for almost two years now, in 9 and 
6 sizes. I loved these kites so much, I was very reluctant to change for another 
model. They were excellent in many ways. Very good low-end, excellent upwind 
ability, good drift, etc. After two years of intensive use, it was time to get new kites.
I was waiting for the announcement of the Method3 to change my quiver. You can
imagine my disappointment when I heard the model was discontinued.

My options were to either buy a new set of Method2 or get a set of Element3 kites. 
I was budget-driven when I first bought Switch kites, and it is still the case today. I 
could not find any other brand in the same price range that I would trust in terms 
of quality and durability. I read a lot about the Element3 online to make sure that it
was the kite for me, but I wasn't really convinced. I was reluctant to change. Why 
change something that works for me? How could an "all-terrain" kite be as good as 
the Method2 at waveriding? I thought this was just some marketing bs to have one 
less kite in the range, to save on R&D, because the Method was probably the kite 
that did not sell as much as the other models, because of its niche market, and what
not. The fact that there was no Element3 in size 6 was also bothering me. I like 
traveling light, with just a couple of kites. The Methods 9 and 6 were just perfect for 
that. I spoke with Felix who eventually decided me on the Element3.

So here I was with the new and crispy Elements in the boot of my car... It took me 
almost a month to get them out. I mainly kite on a spot where the kite choice is a 
commitment. You have to walk more than half a kilometer upwind in 30 gusty knots 
with sand in your face if you want to change kites, and once you've arrived there is 
no one to help you land your kite. I thought the Element3 would not handle the gusts 
as well as the Method2, I thought the high end of the Element 7 would not be as 
good as the Method 6, I had tons of excuses to keep flying the kites I loved.

Yesterday, I finally took the Element out of the car. The wind was full offshore, 30 
knots, gusty, 1 to 1.5m waves.

After a few minutes on the water, I found the kite very easy to getting used to. The 
depower was excellent, it held the gusts like a charm (that was one of my major 
concerns), and after a couple of hours it was just like I had been flying that kite 
forever. It was predictable. And it made the flaws of the Method2 blatant. Most 
kitesurfers who tried my Methods told me the kite was too different from what they 
were used to, which was often what put them off. This is not the case with the 
Element. The kite is predictable. I love my Methods because after two years of use I 
know them very well. I feel that I won't need long to take full advantage of what the 
Element3 has to offer. I also found that it is a better kite for strapless freestyling 
than the Method. This is where the "all-terrain" part comes in handy.

One session does not allow you to fully assess all features of the kite, but it is 
definitely enough to make me pick the Element first next time I'm going kitesurfing! 
Switch has a new Element3 convert.


Thanks for reading my lenghty message, here's a pic from yesterday for your patience:

Image


TL;DR: if you're riding with the Method2, do switch for the Element3. You won't be 
disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment