Thursday, May 16, 2013

Review of the Combat V2

Review of the Combat V2 :

http://switchkites.com/forum/index.html

by kite*hawk » Thu May 16, 2013 

When switch said they were coming out with the V2 version of the Combat I was a little concerned. How were they going to improve on what I felt was pretty much the perfect C kite. On a previous post there were discussions on what team riders would change. I am super stoked to say that the only two things they did change were exactly what I suggested. So of course it makes me feel good that my thoughts on what needed to be changed were in line with the switch R&D team and Mark and Felix.

1. No cam battens- Lets face it. Even though it makes for a super stable feel and great turning, a stiff rod in a kite that gets slammed over and over again will cause damage and fail. Cant really tell the difference without them in there so nice work on keeping the same feel without the battens.

2. Faster turning speed- I got the 11m and it is my main kite because of the wind speed and my weight. Definite improvement in turning speed. It doesn't turn like a 9m but is a lot quicker and more responsive.

Other improvements- More pop when unhooked. Did some unhooked tricks with the kite and got way more lift than with the V1. Had to keep the kite closer to the deck which to me is a +. Always had to keep the V1 a little higher to get the pop and air time I needed. Bigger air hooked in too.
Lag time and stability. It's not that the kite has more lag time just better lag time feel and better power at the end of unhooked tricks. It was easy to out run my V1 on unhooked tricks and there was almost too much lag. I would have to wait sometimes for the kite to power back up. Might just be that the kite sits a little deeper in window but there is just the right amount of power to keep you going after a big unhooked move.
Relaunch. When I crashed the kite it wanted to relaunch instantly.
Still goes upwind great.
All in all its still pretty much the same kite but the tings that need improvement got changed and the things that didn't got left alone.

Team Rider-Todd Robinson-Location Wilmington NC USA-Combats V2 11M,Method V2 9M & 14 Nitro2-138 MJ Comp, 5.3 Liquid Force Kite Fish(light wind awesomestick), 5-10" super charger epoxy surfboard(Switch taged).
kite*hawk 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment